Driver License Division - Utah Limited-Term Driver License and Identification Card
Effective January 1, 2010, the Driver License Division is now issuing a Limited-Term Driver License, Limited-Term Commercial Driver License and Limited-Term Identification Card. Click here for a Printable brochure for more information on what will be required to obtain your Limited-Term document.
A person who would need to obtain a Limited-Term Driver License or Identification Card would be:
- Individuals who are not U.S. citizens, but who are in the U.S. legally. The expiration date would be the date of your legal presence document or five years, whichever is sooner; or one year from the date of issuance if there is no expiration date.
- Individuals applying for a Commercial Limited-Term Driver License are required to have a Social Security Number and DOT Medical Card and provide proof.
- Refugee or Approved Asylee - click here for more information
Requirements to obtain a Limited-Term Document are:
- Evidence of a driving privilege issued in another state or country or evidence of completion of a course in driver training to avoid having to carry a learner permit for 90 days;
- Evidence of birth (identity), full social security number or proof of ineligibilty to obtain social security, 2 proofs of Utah residency, and legal/lawful presence. Visit our documentation needed page to find out what works as proof;
- Completion of required written knowledge/skills tests
After all requirements for a Limited-Term have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary document that is a receipt only. Once you have completed the licensing process the completed license will then be mailed to you in approximately three weeks.[Last Update - Friday, 08-Mar-2013 16:25:31 MST]