Emergency Management - Which Government Agencies Are Involved in CSEPP?
Utah is one of eight active CSEPP sites around the country. Other sites are located in Oregon, Colorado, Arkansas, Indiana, Alabama, Kentucky and Maryland. The destruction of the chemical weapons stockpile on Johnston Atoll (located 800 miles southwest of Hawaii) was completed in 2000.
At the national level, the Department of the Army and Federal Emergency Management Agency operate CSEPP. At the local level, the Division of Emergency Services and Homeland Security (DES) is one of several agencies involved in Utah's CSEPP operations. DES works in partnership with the following federal, state and local agencies:
- Deseret Chemical Depot
- Tooele County Emergency Management
- Salt Lake County Fire Department
- Utah County Sheriff's Office
- Utah National Guard
- Utah Department of Health
- Utah Department of Environmental Quality
- Utah Department of Agriculture
- Utah Poison Control
- American Red Cross