Investigations - Public Records Request Form
Use this form to request government records.
Please note the following:
- Identification must be provided prior to release of a record pursuant to Utah Code Ann. 63G-2-202.
- Pursuant to Utah Code Ann. 63-2-103(14), initial contact reports are public records. "Initial contact report" means an initial written or recorded report, however titled, prepared by peace officers engaged in public patrol or response duties describing official actions initially taken in response to either a public complaint about or the discovery of an apparent violation of law.
- The records officer may release all reports and accompanying data, including photos, to the subject of the record or to an attorney who has been retained by the subject of the record. According to Utah Code Ann. 63G-2-305(10) reports are not subject to release, if release of the records reasonably could be expected to interfere with an ongoing criminal or administrative enforcement proceeding.
- Records may include Incident Reports, Citations, and Warnings.
- Private information of another as described in Utah Code Ann. 63G-2-302(2)(d) will be redacted prior to release as provided by Utah Code Ann. 63G-2-308. If private information is redacted, you have the right to appeal the denial within 30 days. Any appeal should be directed to Commissioner Keith D. Squires, 4501 South 2700 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114.
The DPS fee schedule approved by the Utah State Legislature is as follows:
|Black and White Copies|
|- $5.00 for 1 to 10 pages|
|- $25.00 for 11 to 50 pages|
|- $.50 per page after that|
|- $1.00 per page for color copies|
|- $25.00 per video/DVD|
|Photos (Contact SBI @ 801-532-2168)|
|- $25.00 for CD|
|- $2.00 per printed page (1, 2, or 4 per page)|
|- $1.00 per developed negative|