POST - Handgun Instructor
This course is designed to teach firearms handgun instructors the fundamentals of shooting, teaching, lesson plans and course design and proper range management.
A written and skills based test will be administered during this course that requires a score of 80% or better to pass. The first day at the range will require the officers to pass the POST qualification course to be able to continue on. (this course is not designed to "fix" a weak shooter)
All participants will be required to provide 40 hours of instruction within one year following the class, details concerning approval for "instruction hours" will be discussed during the course. It is required that the instruction hours be under the supervision of a POST certified instructor or at a POST site. After the hours are completed the POST Firearms Instructor Certificate will be issued.
- A letter from participant’s chief administrative officer or designee will be required stating that the attendee will be working directly or assisting in firearms training.
A confirmation letter listing the equipment required for the course will be sent to the department training officers.
Officer's attending must have the following:
- Handgun, duty belt, etc.
- Eye and ear protection
- Ballistic vest
- 1500 rounds handgun ammunition
- Water, sunscreen and clothing appropriate for the weather.
- Knee pads
- Rain gear
- Sunglasses and other items
- Due to the high demand for this course, agencies will be limited to (2) officers per session. In the event that the class does not completely fill, we will allow agencies to reserve additional officers.
- Attention: A one week cancellation is required, if you are registered and fail to cancel at least one week (7 days) prior to the first day of class you will not be considered for this training for a period of one year. This is to consider those that are on a wait list and to also fill class.
***This course is limited to 25 students with a minimum of 16 to hold the course.
- To apply for this course, candidates should have their Agency Administrator or Training Coordinator register them for the training through the POST Portal at www.post.utah.gov or contact Sheryl Allums at POST at firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Dress code for attending POST classes is a neat, clean, and professional appearance. Slacks, shirts with collars, and/or department uniform can be worn. (not required on the ranges) No shorts, cut-offs, open toed shoes, sweats, tank tops, or t-shirts are permitted.
|August 12-16, 2013||Day one will be at POST, located at 9800 South 410 West Sandy, Utah.||0800-1700||Canceled|
|March 24-28, 2014||Day one will be at POST, located at 9800 South 410 West Sandy, Utah.||0800-1700||
|July 14-18, 2014||Day one will be at POST, located at 9800 South 410 West Sandy, Utah.||0800-1700||OPEN|
Last updated: December 19, 2012 5:09 PM[Last Update - Tuesday, 13-May-2014 16:10:08 MDT]