Safety Inspections - Safety Inspection
News & Information
Vehicle Safety Inspection
Admiral Byrd Plaza, Building 3
5500 West Amelia Earhart Drive Suite 360
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
Office: (801) 965-4889
Office Fax: (801) 322-1817
Utah Interactive Customer
Support Line: (801) 983-0275
Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Closed Weekends and Holidays
The mission of the Safety Inspection section is to provide professional police services, improve safety on the state’s highways, and protect the constitutional rights of all people in Utah.
Our goal is to reduce the number of vehicle equipment related crashes by taking measures to ensure that motor vehicles in the state of Utah are in safe operating condition.
What we do:
- Educate citizens regarding motor vehicle equipment safety standards through;
- Brochures (Available at Safety Inspections Stations)
- Investigate Safety Inspection Station & Inspector complaints.
- Perform biannual Safety Inspection Station visits to educate and train inspection personnel on the safety inspection manual, proper inspection techniques and shop tool requirements.
- Perform monthly covert safety inspection station and inspector activities and reward those stations who provide proper inspections, while removing stations and inspectors from the program who do not.
- Perform roadside education and enforcement regarding motor vehicle safety requirements and compliance with current state and federal rules and regulations.
- Improve the Safety Inspection training course materials and update safety inspection manuals every two years.
- Conduct school bus inspections on every pupil carrying vehicle in the state of Utah annually, with follow-up inspections completed on a percentage basis.
CNG Inspection Training
Street Legal ATV InformationStreet Legal ATV Information (Amended 5/1/2009)
2011 Safety Inspection Year Requirements
Vehicles registered in Utah are required to have an inspection, prior to registration, based on the model year of the vehicle. Vehicles older than eight years old are required to receive an inspection every year. Vehicles newer than eight years old are required to have an inspection every other year. Utah base plated Commercial Motor Vehicles, CMV's, are required to have an inspection yearly to meet Federal requirements, 49 CFR 396.17.
|Vehicle Model Year||Inspection|
|2012 (Excludes new vehicles)||Required in 2012|
|2010||Required in 2012|
|2008||Required in 2012|
|2006||Required in 2012|
|ALL OLDER VEHICLES||Required in 2012|
A safety inspection may be made no more than two months prior to the renewal of the registration. You must have your current registration at the time of inspection. If repair work is required in order to pass inspection, it may be done by anyone. When vehicles are repaired within 15 days, the inspection station is required to recheck the vehicle at no additional cost.
The maximum amounts that can be charged for a safety inspection, including the certificate fee are:
- $ 9.00 for motorcycles;
- $17.00 for cars, trucks, trailers, buses;
- $22.00 for four-wheel drive, split axle and any motor vehicle that requires disassembly of front hub or removal of rear axle for inspection.
NOTE: An Official Safety Inspection Station cannot charge any tax or other fees other than the maximum listed amount for a safety inspection.
For more information about Safety Inspections call the Utah Highway Patrol at (801) 965-4889.
Vehicle Emission tests are required by State law every other year for the first 5 years and then every year thereafter in the following counties: Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah.
Safety Inspection is required by Utah law to investigate all complaints regarding state inspections. If you have questions regarding an inspection please contact the Safety Inspection office at (801) 965-4889. Action will be taken against any station that attempts to pass vehicles in violation of Safety Inspection rules. Safety Inspection also investigates complaints regarding unnecessary repairs.[Last Update - Friday, 08-Mar-2013 16:25:30 MST]